I attended a talk by Tom Katis – CEO Voxer back in 2012.
I really enjoyed his talk and took good notes. Bellow is the summary of key things that stood out for me.
Ask yourself every day, what is one thing that will kill you if you get it wrong? Then concentrate on getting it right.
- Build Core Differential Product (focus on difference between you and the competition)
- Measure what people do, don’t so much listen to what people say
- Build It, Put it In their hands. Do they get it? No? Change something and repeat.
- Be careful with marketing, throws off your measurements, can’t tell what is working or not
- Don’t kill your Engineers!!!
- Focus – What is the corse? Do that one thing well
- Simple Requirements
- No Arbitrary Deadlines
- Don’t be afraid to throw away code!!!
- Internal Motivation
- Code is a Living Thing
- Create Culture From Day One
- Hire great people
- Fire non-performers!!!
- Tolerate Awkwardness 🙂
- Demand Mutual Respect
- Teamwork vs Structure
- Do not run out of money
- Be smart
- Know what you have
- Don’t spend what you don’t have
- Don’t get stars in your eyes, no one will save you. You are the one who has to build your business
- Know when not to be cheap – nice place to work at matters. Get good snacks and comfy chairs.
- Avoid Playing Chicken
Define engaged user – build this base
Integrate tracking from start
In summary a really cool talk by a really cool guys. Make sure to check out Voxer if you have a minute 🙂
P.S. Are you hiring? My good friend is looking for work.